Tuesday, February 24, 2009

what i'm working my way out of....

so if you have combed over every inch of this blog, as i'm sure you have, you'll notice my job is listed as, "musician guy that clark kent's as a handyman". if not, just take my word for it. anyways, i think this is a pretty simple thing to understand, so if you don't get what it means, then comment, and i'll comment back - or one of my loyal followers will beat me to the punch.

anyways, little of this is relevant except for a very interesting conversation i had yesterday. but it all starts at the beginning when i was hired, as a handyman, at a certain dollar amount per hour at the beginning of december, we will call this number X. on new years day, after landing back in new york, my boss informed me that my new wage was going to be X(2/3). i was a little shocked, but fortunately he gave me an additional 20 hours so i made the same dollar amount, i just had to work a lot more hours for it.

so word comes down the line that this certain boss of our is on his way out, and that there is another owner taking over - so i make certain to have a conversation to try and get myself back up to X. He'd said that i'd get back up there, but gave no specifics, with him leaving i thought it'd be good to readjust before hand so i didn't have to drag up old income statements as evidence. he agrees, to a point, he puts me up to X(2/3)+ X(1/5).

so here i am below my rate after receiving this so-called "raise". but i'd never thought of it as such, i just thought of it as a james bond-like falling off the side of a building, and climbing back up. but then that also perhaps fits from all of my ventures in the past few years.

anyways, when i asked about returning simply to X i was informed that my last "raise" was indeed a raise, and so i'd have to wait at least a few months longer for another raise, that is actually a "raise". i objected logically with, "well, you see, by the definition of the word, raise, i think..."

anyways, it got me nowhere. and with all this in mind only one thing remains at the forefront of my mind... with the advent of cellphones finding a phone booth to change in is really difficult, and thats really jamming me up.

1 comment:

  1. Hey... isn't the labor auto-satiating though? I mean... the hookahs look nothing short of glorious.

    Feel free to substitute one of your made-up words for "satiate." I know you like to make up words. ... And pretend they're real ones.

    ReplyDelete