Wednesday, January 6, 2010

self-destruction and the survival of the most fit

i have a little studio i'm very privileged to use. its up on 33rd st and its home to a few of my guitars, some effects, a laptop and an outboard digital zoom multi-track recorder. now, it seems, it is only home to a few of my guitars, some effects and a laptop.

in a panic to try and finish up the rough cuts for the record i rushed in and plugged in the zoom in hopes of getting straight to work, burning down some masters and touching up some of the vocals and guitar work. however, it is a 12V input and my laptop charger is a 19V output, so when i plugged it in, thinking it was the zoom power supply, it was, in fact, the laptop charger. for a brief moment the screen appeared as normal, and then it started blinking at me. realizing my error, i quickly switched the adapters only to be left with more blinking.

there are many things that blink that perplex me... the red stop lights atop a four way intersection, an open sign in a deli, the lights on a wireless router* and strobe lights**... this one just devastated me.

however, given my endless resolve, and the capabilities of my not so ipod mp3 player, i decided to record direct into the walkman. i suspect at this moment i'd thought i'd try my hand at the formula set forth by the jesus record, and since i don't own a jeep my battle with life seemed to indicate that michael w. smith would not be trying his hand at 'finishing' this disc for me. which is a blessing.

so now, as musicians will prepare to hear the ideas i've set forward, they are to be warned. its noisy, dirty, sloppy, weak at points, but it is honest. instead of going in with complete ideas, it seems that it has become an open book, with endless options for the musicians involved.

this album is becoming a sort of a living thing... lets hope it doesn't own a jeep.

*because they blink when it works and not when it doesn't
**because i always find myself staring into the light

No comments:

Post a Comment