Tuesday, February 9, 2010

days 2 & 3

Well its certainly been intense.

I am having trouble grasping it all. Basically I walked into the studio with four other guys that I trust with an unhealthy amount of courage… and my faith in them has proved itself worthy.

These men took one song at a time over 23 hours and now stand on the other side of a record with 12 songs in the bag for all of the instruments other than 3 or 4 acoustic guitar tracks and 6 vocal tracks. It is me that is responsible for the rest of these parts… so they have been released.

I don’t think we made an album in the way that most would consider ‘the best’ way… but we jammed… and it was a little bit magical. This is a fresh album. A series of songs that tell a story and further a band that offers plenty of sub-plots.

We were also graced with the dear Christina Roushey for some background vocals. She was the 5th person involved that was entrusted with this absolute trust that I had applied to the other four.

This was a session where I hit play and joel and joel would do their bits and phil would re-invent rhythm as we know it. Mike would hit record and throw down some gorgeous guitar phrasing at the same time. Christy could 1 or 2 take anything we threw at her and in sum everybody had ideas and they fleshed them out very well.

I miss fresh records and that may be the reason I’m making one… but without my friends it would have been a drum machine and a synth… and that is way too 2005… but the music is good and the grammy committee are into it.

I am blessed to have worked with such incredible players, and while I was the common thread for all of these characters the sense of community and team work was phenomenal. There was not a single argument, it was all about the music being first… and as I was the one who wrote the songs it was one of the most humbling experiences of my life.

I must also mention a very special thank you to scott austin for letting me steal all of his equipment and also the tone he has been working on for the last 2 years and finally perfected. Also Eli Vasquez who has built the most beautiful sounding guitar I’ve ever heard and let me play it. Dorman’s honesty, Josh’s house and Nate for housing the canadians. Couldn’t have done it without any of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment