Wednesday, April 22, 2009

ipod generation

i've never paid for an ipod. i've owned three of them, but i've never bought one... they're either hand me downs or i find them, but i'm still torn on the whole thing.

there was awhile when i'd walk around the city, sit on the subway and swap cds out of my discman in a very awkward way - with the influx of ipods i continue to recieve i eventually left it on the shelf in my apartment and resigned to the much simpler, more compact, way of enjoying the sweetest tunes of my record collection.

but here's the problem. first of all the sound discrepancy - not only are mp4s compressed in such a way that the low and high end frequencies are crushed but then when played through an ipod they are re-crushed to the point of distortion at any volume level. i can't tell you how much i hate that. probably as much as brandon hated dylan when he started going out with kelly.

second, i have like 700+ cds. the latest ipod only has 7 gigs on it and my computer is loaded up with files from a record i did that takes up over half of the hard drive. the problem here is that i 1, don't have the time to load 700 cds onto my computer 2, my computer doesn't have the room 3, the ipod doesn't either. some people would think to just load their favorites... that would require about 500 of them. so i'm walking around listening to a song or record, thinking of what would be perfect next - and 90% of the time that perfect selection is on a cd spindle or in a travel case in my apartment. devastating.

lastly, the problem with free ipods are the incidental damages. so the first one the battery was about shot, the second, the battery was about shot and the headphone jack stopped working, the third, yep the backlight went out. awesome. so i stumble awkwardly trying to get the right angle of the sun or lamp post continually walking at an exceptionally fast rate - because stopping would be all too convenient.

boo-urns, ipod, boo-urns

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...All good points, Tommy, but I feel you ignored one crucial aspect of the whole Ipod thing: Whether walking around listening to music (Ipod or discman or walkman or whatever) interferes with your ability to interact with your fellow man. Or at least to not get run over by a truck.
    This used to be my reason for not getting and Ipod but, having received my first one for Christmas this year as a gift, I now cannot deny that the positives outweigh the negatives, especially during long, hot rides on the skytrain. Besides, any conversation I've ever had with a stranger on the skytrain has been at worst vaguely threatening, and at best absurd.
    BUT, that aside, the BEST part of the ipod is the song shuffle feature. I love the crazy juxtapositions that occur. Lennie Kravitz to Gregorian Chant to MJ to, well, YOU...it's fab.
    So jump on the bandwagon, Tommy. Do it. Do it now. (Just don't bother with Twitter. It's stupid.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find if I stick the end of white shoelaces in my ears and tuck them down in my coat...1 it is a lot quieter, 2 it costs less no downloading...3 I still impress all of my friends by having the white string I-pod look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Costing less and no downloading should have been two points. Sorry for the discrepancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. BUY an iPod.
    2. You are not allowed to complain because you didn't keep up with the proverbial Joneses of music collection advancements. I started loading CDs to my computer in 1999. Between that and the changeover to purchasing online (and downloading back in the day), I have 11,000+ songs on my iPod. And my 80GB iPod (with its wheel and non-touchable-screen) handles it fine. And I've also not had to purchase one in a long-ass time.

    Stop being cranky.

    ReplyDelete